- R. Stern, J. Song, D. Work. “Accelerated Monte Carlo system reliability analysis through machine-learning-based surrogate models of network connectivity.” Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 2017. Download: manuscript.
- R. Stern, S. Cui, M. L. Delle Monache, R. Bhadani, M. Bunting, M. Churchill, N. Hamilton, R. Haulcy, H. Pohlmann, F. Wu, B. Piccoli, B. Seibold, J. Sprinkle, D. Work. “Dissipation of stop-and-go waves via control of autonomous vehicles: Field experiments.” Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 89: 205-221, 2018. Download: manuscript.
- F. Wu, R. Stern, S. Cui, M. L. Delle Monache, R. Bhadani, M. Bunting, M. Churchill, N. Hamilton, R. Haulcy, B. Piccoli, B. Seibold, J. Sprinkle, D. Work. “Tracking vehicle trajectories and fuel rates in oscillatory traffic.” Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 2017, to appear. Download: preprint.
- R. Stern, Y. Chen, F. Wu, M. Churchill, D. Work. “Reducing Emissions Resulting from Stop-and-Go Traffic Waves using Automated Vehicles.” Transportation Research Part D: Transportation and the Environment, 2018, to appear.
- M. L. Delle Monache, T. Liard , A. Rat, R. Stern, R. Badhani, B.Seibold, J. Sprinkle, D. Work, B. Piccoli. “Feedback control algorithms for the dissipation of traffic waves with autonomous vehicles.” Book: Computational Intelligence and Optimization Methods for Control Engineering, 2018.
- T. Liradt, R. Stern, B. Piccoli, D. Work. “Traffic reconstruction using autonomous vehicles.” Submitted to to SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, March, 2018 (under review).
- S. Cui, B. Seibold, R. Stern, and D. Work. “Stabilizing Traffic Flow via a Single Autonomous Vehicle: Possibilities and Limitations.” In proceedings of the IEEE Intelligent Vehicle Symposium, Redondo Beach, CA, June 11-14, 2017. Download: manuscript.
- F. Wu, R. Stern, M. Churchill, M. L. Delle Monache, Han, Piccoli, and D. Work. “Measuring fuel consumption in oscillatory traffic: experimental results.” Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, January 2017. Download: manuscript.
- R. Stern, D. Work, M. L. Delle Monache, B. Piccoli, J. Sprinkle, S. Cui, H. Pohlman, B. Seibold. “Stabilizing Traffic with a Single Autonomous Vehicle.” International Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems, Vienna, Austria, April 11-14, 2016. Download: abstract.
- R. Stern, J. Song, and D. Work. “Network Reliability Analysis Using Machine-learning-bases surrogate Models.” 12th International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering, Vancouver, Canada, July 12-15, 2015. Download: manuscript.
- B. Donovan, Y. Li, R. Stern, J. Jiang, C. Claudel, D. Work. “Vehicle detection and speed estimation with PIR sensors”, ACM/IEEE International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, Seattle, WA, April 13-17, 2015. Download: abstract.
- R. Stern, J. Song, and D. Work. “Machine-learning-based Surrogate Models for Network Reliability analysis.” IFIP WG7.5 Working Conference, July 2014.
White papers and position articles
- M. Abbas et al. “New directions in mathematical approaches for traffic flow management.” Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics White Paper, B. Seibold and D. Work editors, 2016. Download: manuscript.
- S. Gowrishankar, R. Stern, and D. Work. “Including the social component in smart transportation systems,” 2014 National Workshop on Transportation Cyber-Physical Systems, Arlington, VA, January 23-24, 2014. Download: manuscript.
Invited talks and presentations
- “Impacts of vehicle automation on traffic flow stability.” Departmental invited seminar, Department of Controls, University of Grenoble Alpes, Grenoble, France, November 29, 2018.
- “Traffic control with autonomous vehicles: Theory and experiments.” Departmental invited seminar, Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geo- Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, March 20, 2018.
- “Cyber-physical systems for civil and environmental engineering.” Departmental invited seminar, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Northeastern University, Boston, MA, February 12, 2018.
- “Autonomous vehicles for traffic control.” Departmental invited seminar, Department of Mathematics, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, February 7, 2018.
- “Stabilizing traffic via a single autonomous vehicle.” National Academy of Engineers Global Grand Challenges Summit, Washington, DC, July 19-20, 2017.
- “Controlling Stop and Go Traffic with a Single Autonomous Vehicle: Experimental Results.” Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, July 14, 2017.
- “Experimental results for dampening traffic waves using a low fraction of autonomous vehicles.” Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics Lake Arrowhead Workshop, Lake Arrowhead, CA, June 6, 2017.
- “Traffic control and estimation using a small number of autonomous vehicles.” Invited departmental seminar at Seoul National University, Department of Civil Engineering, Seoul, Korea, May 29, 2017.
- “Dampening vehicle traffic waves with a low fraction of autonomous vehicles.” 12th Coordinated Sciences Lab Student Conference, Urbana, IL, February 16-17, 2017.
- “Dampening traffic waves with autonomous vehicles: theoretical and experimental results.” Conference on Integrated Transport, Stockholm, Sweden, November 29-30, 2016.
- “Control of microscopic traffic flow via a single autonomous vehicle.” American Institute of Mathematical Sciences Conference on Dynamical Systems, Differential Equations and Applications, Orlando, FL, July 1-5, 2016.
- “Dampening Traffic Waves with Autonomous Vehicles.” Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, January 10-14, 2016.
- “Control of vehicular traffic flow via low density autonomous vehicles.” Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics long Program on New Directions in Mathematical Approaches for Traffic Flow Management Culminating Workshop, Lake Arrowhead, CA, December 7, 2015.
- “Estimating network failure probability using accelerated Monte Carlo simulations.” Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics long Program on New Directions in Mathematical Approaches for Traffic Flow Management Traffic Estimation Workshop, Los Angeles, CA, October 12, 2015.
- “Machine-learning-based surrogate models for system reliability analysis”, 4th International Transportation PhD Student Symposium, Harbin, China, May 31-June 1, 2015.
- “Interpolating climatological camera trap data to estimate local temperature variation,” 20th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, New York, NY, Aug. 24- 27, 2014.
- “Rapid prediction of disconnections on infrastructure networks”, First Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure Systems Student Summit, Urbana, IL, April 23, 2014.
- “Fast methods to predict disconnections on transportation networks after extreme events”, 62nd Illinois Traffic Engineering and Safety Conference, Champaign, IL, October 23-24, 2013.
- “Fast methods to predict disconnections on transportation networks after extreme events”, 2nd International PhD Student Symposium, Champaign, IL, September 3-4, 2013.